How often do you let fear get out of control? If you are like me, it can be a run away train before you realize it. I tend toward anxiety but have been trying different ways to deal with it. So, here are 10 ways to make your hope stronger than your fear:
- Surround yourself with people who love you. They may not always like you, but they will always love you. These can be family or friends. When fear takes over, let them listen and comfort you.
- Come up with a mantra of a verse or a saying. “Jesus is all I need.” “The joy of the Lord is my strength.” “God is love.” “I am not alone.” “This too shall pass.” “It will all work out.”
- Cling to Jesus. Send up little prayers every time a negative thought pops in your head. Read your Bible more than you have been. Getting closer to God is the best way to bring back hope.
- Distract yourself. When you can’t shake a bad feeling, do something else. Change gears and get your mind thinking about something else.
- Laugh. Laughter is powerful medicine! When the world gets you down, your heart needs to be lifted. Find a funny friend or even some comedy clips on YouTube.
- Listen to music. But not just any old song. Find a go to song that never fails to make you happy. You may laugh, but a song that always makes me happy is Patience by Guns N’ Roses. It is our song and belting it out brings me joy. Think of a song that has personal meaning to you and see if that doesn’t perk you right up!
- Smile. Even if you have to fake it till you make it, the act of smiling can lift your spirits and shake off anxiety.
- Do something for someone else. Preferably anonymously. Getting out of your own head can show you how good the world can be and also that things can always be worse. When you think about your purpose in being here, it is not for yourself but for someone else. Fear fades away when you live for others.
- Write it out. When you write out why you are fearful and list the scenarios that can happen, it gives you another perspective. Solutions may come to you or you may have peace. You may also see that you are being ridiculous. (I know I often do.)
- If all else fails, sleep. Close your eyes and try to rest, even if for only 5 minutes. Things often look brighter in the morning.
If you are going through a storm, please know that you are never alone or the only one who feels the way you do. There is always hope. My family would be honored to pray for you!
Linking with Holley Gerth